Details visible on this rooftop panorama
This is the left-hand part of the rooftop panorama. This photo has probably been taken from the light-house next to Madjid´s palace. The slave market that was replaced by a church is located just outside the picture on the left. Photo: (16 by 10 cm)
The inland water on our photo is the end of the creek that used to almost surround the stone town at high tide (see Zanzibar in contemporary times R.N. Lyne 1905 reprint 1987 map before p 7) Note: Most of the creek has been used for building nowadays.
The building on the left is the back of the huge sultan´s palace Beit al Sahel and Beit al Hakum (court) and part of the gardens with a garden-house and surrounding wall. The wooden pavilion located in the garden on the front was indicated on the original map by Guillain as item P "Mat de Pavilion" (see next item)
There is a further rooftop-photo in the Oswald album that fits to the left of this photo, but probably is of a later date (see Winterton collection Album 74, page 4 photograph 2 (with Madjid´s palace in front) It probably fits as it was also taken from the light-house.
Form Emily Ruete we kow that during the evening family's would come to the roofs to enjoy the pleasant climate. Later in the 19th century shades of tin-plates were introduced on the roofs.
Section of the Guillain plan of 1846:
P is the wooden pavilion we see above in the front.
A is the Sultan's palace seen on the left.
Q ancient palace seen on the back
F is the battery in fornt of the old Fort